Saturday 29 June 2013

Boozing and Sniffling



My neighbour came in to say goodbye this evening and we both ended up in tears. I suck at letting things go. So, with a sense of profound self-congratulation for having the foresight not to pack the gin, I’m spending my last night in my house toasting the memories and making a list move-related of things for which I’m grateful:

  1. I’m grateful I’ve had the opportunity to live on my own. There was a time when I didn’t think I’d get a chance to do this, and it’s been wonderfully liberating.
  2. I’m grateful I now have the chance to reacclimatize to sharing my living space. By one’s thirties, old habits become ingrained and I think it’s a good idea to get used to having to compromise on bathroom times and laundry regimens before I become irrevocably set in my ways. 
  3. I’m grateful that I have the means to follow my dream. I’ll never stop being grateful for this.
  4. I’m grateful that I have the world’s most supportive mother. I know she’s nervous about this too; I’m not the only person giving up my solitude and independence in this equation. We’re both used to doing things our own way, and I’m so, so lucky that she has a big enough heart to make room for me in her home. She didn’t have to do this. She’s amazing.
  5. I’m grateful for my stubbornness. I’m shit-scared right now, but I’m not backing down.
  6. I’m grateful for the fact that I have not yet managed to purchase a house, acquire a husband, or birth a child. I’m not saying this grand adventure would be impossible with any combination of the above, only that it’d be much more complicated.
  7. I’m grateful for all the support I have and for all the people who’ve said the most wonderful and encouraging things to me. I’m grateful for the folks who don’t understand the decision but who understand that I have to make it. And I’m grateful for the people who have just wholeheartedly, unequivocally, and without hesitation, simply told me to go for it.
  8. I’m grateful for the fact that I will now be obliged to eat proper grown-up food like an adult, instead of noodles, microwave meals and toast like an adolescent. That can’t hurt.
  9. I’m grateful for the years I had in this house and all the memories.
  10. I’m grateful for the gin. Yeah - I'm very grateful for the gin.

No comments:

Post a Comment